The Wet Fart From Hell

Peeps, the holidays got the best of me. I’m so sorry for being negligent when it comes to catching y’all up on my post-op experience – and boy, was it an experience! Today I’m going to catch you up on the first days after surgery.

I’ve often bragged about how well my surgeon and his team prepared me for surgery and this whole experience. In fact, he warned me that the day after I got home from the hospital would probably be the worst day of my recovery. He was right.

What I didn’t expect, however, was the debacle that will forever be known as the Wet Fart from Hell. I know you’re thinking “Hey, HMP, it’s cool…you don’t need to share this part of your experience with us” but I can’t do that to you! I promised I’d share everything…and so into the smelly, awkward, slightly moist truth we go. Together.

As I was waking up from a hydrocodone coma, I felt a tiny little fart bubble up. How cute, I thought to myself. As I relaxed and started to let it go, I quickly realized that this was no tiny fart. In fact, this was no fart at all. This was the demon spawn created by a week and a half of liquids only…and it was banging at my back door, demanding release and threatening my clean sheets. Jesus!

I wasn’t able to pull myself up out of bed because the incision on my left side hurt so much. Hot Mess Hubby (HMH) had to help pull me up. I called out for him and he bounded into the bedroom to find me frantically motioning for him to help me up and yelling “I’ve gotta go! I’ve gotta go!!!” He pulled me up too fast and I doubled over in pain as I slid out of bed. Yowch!

No time to complain…I gotta go!

I waddled forward, frantically waving at him to get out of my way. “Move! Move!! Oh, God…please don’t let me poop my pants…” In two seconds, he was fully out of my way but my steps were tiny and careful because I was still so sore – not to mention hopped up on pain meds. I shuffled along as fast as I could, crossing the bedroom and waddling towards the bathroom doorway. There was a brief moment of panic as I felt another gas bubble coming, but I finally plopped my lily white booty on the toilet seat and heaved a huge sigh of relief.

I’ll spare you the details of what happened next, but suffice to say…I’ve never heard my body make such noises before. Ever.

Before long, it was time to gather what was left of my dignity and waddle around the house for my afternoon walk – but as I leaned forward and tried to pull myself up, I realized the complete horror of my situation: the toilet in our master bathroom is not bolted to the floor.

See…HMH is very “devil may care” when it comes to household repairs, I’m sorry to say. One day after watching too much DIY tv, he took our toilet apart in an attempt to fix a slight wobble. He was never able to figure out how to bolt it back to the floor. When I suggested we call a plumber, he insisted that he would figure it out.

That was two years ago.

So there I sat on the potty, unable to get up on my own. If I leaned forward, the entire toilet came with me…water and all. I had no choice but to call HMH back into the room.

Ya know…there’s nothing that kills the remaining mystery in a marriage like having to call your husband into a bathroom you’ve just polluted and asking him to pull your weak ass up off the toilet. I would have felt guilty about it, but part of this was his bad karma for taking two years to fix the damn toilet.

As it turned out, I was sitting too low for HMH to be able to pull me up. Every time we tried, I got a horrible burning pain in my side. I couldn’t do it. The walls are at a weird angle in the master bathroom and I couldn’t get a firm enough grip on anything to pry myself up. Great. There I sat…my ass going numb…wondering what the hell to do. Then HMH disappeared.

I heard him thumping around in the closet for something. When he returned, he handed me the wooden walking stick we bought together on our first trip to Sequoia, California ten years ago. It’s about 5 feet long and made from a gnarled old tree branch…kind of like Gandalf’s staff. Suddenly all I could think of was that scene in The Lord of the Rings when Gandalf faces off with the fiery Balrog and yells out “You shall not pass!”

 photo nopass_zpsaew6gtns.jpg

Great. Now I’m frigg’in Gandalf.

After several more minutes of pushing, pulling, grunting, and wheezing I was finally free from my wobbly porcelain prison. Thank God. And Gandalf.

The first couple of days were rough, but why wouldn’t they be? I’d just put my body through a huge ordeal and I was hardly getting any nutrition. I wasn’t sleeping well. I’m a side sleeper and it was much too painful to sleep that way. I was surviving on sugar free popsicles, sugar free jello, and water. Oh and…Isopure.

Isopure is a clear protein drink that I was supposed to drink starting on day 5 post op. You can buy it at GNC stores and it comes in cute flavors like Grape and Alpine Punch…but that’s not what it tastes like. It looks like Kool-Aid or Snapple but it’s just another lie the dillholes at Isopure are trying to trick you with. Trust me. It tastes like dish detergent and bile. Not. Even. Joking.

 photo Isopure_zpsyzpqcpnu.jpg

(Hairdo courtesy of taking a shower at 3 am and climbing into bed while trying not to shit my pants, then passing out on pain killers. Glamorous!)

I only managed to get one down a day. It should have been two, but I just couldn’t do it. As if the taste isn’t bad enough, my tongue felt like carpet after I took a swig. It’s the nastiest stuff imaginable and I couldn’t do more than a bottle a day – in fact, I would take a swig of Isopure and two swigs of water. That’s what I did all day, every day. By the time I got to Day 8 post op and full liquids I was ready to hump the leg of the guy who invented the protein shake.

Lastly, I know some of you are interested in the gory details of this surgery. How many scars, what did they look like, etc. I have five fairly small scars on my tummy: four in a row across my middle and one very tiny one just under the center of my boobs.

I took a picture of my scars the day after I got home from the hospital – however, I have no desire to freak y’all out the way some people do in the online support groups. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been scrolling through posts and BOOM there’s a hideously gory picture of someone’s bloody stomach spread out on a surgical tray. It’s beyond vile.

If you would like to see the photo of my scars, you can click this link and you’ll be able to see it. The only scar not visible is the tiny one that’s up under my boobs. I couldn’t hold my shirt up and work the camera…sorry!

I’ll be back in a few days to talk about the weeks following my surgery. In the meantime, feel free to ask questions or share your own wet fart horror story. By all means, don’t leave me hang’in out here on my own!


12 thoughts on “The Wet Fart From Hell

  1. Please don’t feel bad about making your hubby come in and get you. My poor hubby had to wipe my butt after my back surgery because I couldn’t bend far enough to do it myself. Now THAT kills the mystery in a marriage. To give him credit, he was a trooper and didn’t complain.

    I’ve been following your journey on Facebook and you have my admiration. The commitment that you have made to getting to a healthy weight is inspiring.

    1. Kat!!! Yes, HMH had to help me in the bathroom in the hospital as well and I felt terrible. He did it, of course, but…ugh. How embarrassing. I just kept thinking how grateful I was to have someone who loves me enough to be there in these awful situations. 🙂 I’m so glad your hubby was a great nurse too!

  2. Oh Lordy! I am so not looking forward to this! *bites nails nervously* I start my two week liquid pre-op diet on Tuesday, surgery on Jan 21. I wish that I could blink and it would be three weeks post-op. For the last few days I’ve made a grand announcement at every meal. The only thing missing is the trumpet players and a town crier yelling “here ye, here ye” Okay…maybe I am a bit dramatic *wink* So, I’ll then announce that this will be the last time that I will be eating_____,for a long, long time…tonight it was three stand up tacos stuffed to the gills. I then bite into my taco and listen to the gears in my DH’s head as he tries to think of a supportive comment (poor guy) So, anyway, I am freaking out a bit and feeling very alone in this. No one in my life understands what is going through my mind as the days tick by. I DO want to be healthy and whole, I DO want to live a long life and I DO want to feel good about myself. I DON’T want to feel pain, I DON’T want to throw up and I DON’T want to poop myself. So I just need to remind myself that there are no food items more important than obtaining my goals,not even Lindt truffles! Thanks for your updates. I enjoy reading them and they always make me smile! Good luck on your continued success!


    1. Kitty, you’re going to do GREAT. Honestly, when you’re right in the middle of it you’re just relieved that you’re no longer waiting for your surgery date…and that you’re finally moving forward. You’re gonna rock at this – and if you ever need me, you’re more than welcome to email me at

  3. Hi Diane,

    I love your blog. Your writing is so down to earth and hilarious. I applaud you for taking this step. I am so looking forward to following your story and watching you shrink. I have struggled with my weight for years and just do not have the courage for surgery. I never thought that people who took this path were getting the ‘easy way out’ (your story confirms that) I am just jealous I didn’t (don’t) have the balls to do it.
    Here is what I would like to hear more of: what you eat! how much? When you talk about going to eat with your husband or girlfriends, I’m curious, what do you order? do you eat your one bite and then have to just sit there while everyone finishes there dinner? Cause that would stink. Have your cravings totally disappeared? I mean, most of your stomach is gone, so I guess major hunger pains aren’t an issue? It just seems so weird to eat a couple tablespoons of food a day and not be….missing something.
    Thanks for being you. And putting this all out there. You are reaching more people than you know. Cheers!

    1. Dearest DFW, my next blog post will be right up your alley! I’ll share sample menus of what I’m eating…promise. 🙂 Thank you so much for your kind words!

  4. I’m on a diet that is 3 days of only protein and then I get to add salad. With all the water intake and then that 4th day of ruffage…I don’t go very far from a toilet for the next 2 days!

  5. Similar issues here. After Brenda’s hip replacement and subsequent stroke there was a lot she couldn’t do for herself, so it was up to me. No big deal as far as I was concerned as love conquers all. 🙂

  6. Dianne, my darling long distance sister, you have me in stitches from laughing right now! And my kids think I have lost my mind!

    You see, years ago back in 2002, I had my gall bladder out. My intestinal system hasn’t been the same since then. Most days I can manage fine, but there are some which are just horrific, and I think you can understand why!

    I’m pleased you are doing so well now, and so happy for you! Love ya!

Comments are closed.